I decided to take a risk in my interview subject and ask my husband Corydon about the highlight of his year. This past year has had a significant amount of changes, one could almost say turmoil. We are doing well through it all, and offer one another support in all ways that we can. He came home from a long weekend with his girlfriend, tired, and the girls were not being kind to him.
"Hey, I need to interview someone about the highlight of their year and I thought I'd ask you."
"Yeah?" he said. And went to bed. I wondered if he really heard me or just was not interested or was too tired to even think about it. I decided I'd ask someone else, maybe Julia my fifteen year old daughter because I have a noticeable streak of masochism. So I asked her: "I don't know. Nothing." Okayyyy. Off to bed with me.
"Yeah?" he said. And went to bed. I wondered if he really heard me or just was not interested or was too tired to even think about it. I decided I'd ask someone else, maybe Julia my fifteen year old daughter because I have a noticeable streak of masochism. So I asked her: "I don't know. Nothing." Okayyyy. Off to bed with me.
In the morning I woke early (damn you Daylight Savings Time!) and Corydon was up. He is a morning person.
"So what's this about an interview?" Ahhhh, he did hear me. I explain. He looks out the window. I take a bite of my toast. He looks at me and smiles. I smile back. I get up and make myself some tea. Finally I ask, "Are you going to answer me?"
"Oh! You want an answer now? Yeah, okay. Well, I guess you know what I'm going to say."
"You know honey, you keep surprising me so I figured I'd ask and listen to you rather than assume what you are going to say," I reply.
After a minute or so he answers me.
"I never thought it would be possible for me to fall in love at fifty. I thought all that was behind me, or it wouldn't be the same. The rush of feelings, the excitement. It reminds me of when you and I fell in love. And it helps me understand what you went through with Rosie. I understand much more now about how you feel about Rosie, and how hard it was. At least, I think I do. Yeah, falling in love at fifty has been a surprise."


No comments:
Post a Comment