Gram's Italian Spinach
One large bag of frozen spinach
Extra virgin olive oil
Cider vinegar
Fresh garlic cloves
Salt
Black pepper
Put the spinach into a glass container, sprinkle with water, cover with paper towel. Microwave on high for six minutes, stir. Microwave on high for six more minutes, stir. Microwave on high for six more minutes, let sit for ten minutes in the microwave. Stir, see how soft the spinach is. Spinach should be soft and dark. Microwave again for four minutes if not sufficiently soft. If it is done enough, use a fine strainer and squeeze out all the water from the spinach, place into another bowl. When as much of the moisture is squeezed out of the spinach as possible, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour olive oil liberally over the spinach, mix together with a fork. Peel and press fresh garlic to taste into the spinach, at least three medium cloves, maybe more. Put your index and middle fingers over the mouth of the cider vinegar bottle so it doesn't dump too much into the bowl and sprinkle the cider vinegar in the spinach. Mix up with a fork and let it sit on the counter for about half an hour. Taste the spinach and see if it needs more salt or vinegar, those are the things that usually need to be added. If there is too much salt or vinegar, sprinkle with water to cut the flavor a bit. Refrigerate and serve cold or room temperature.
Mangia, bellas!
This dish is a family favorite and is always a hit when I serve it or bring it to potlucks. The garlic, vinegar, and salt also make it unlikely to go bad quickly and can last quite a while in the fridge or even room temperature. However, we have never really tested that as it gets eaten so quickly. It is good as a side dish, spread on sandwiches, mixed in with rice and coconut gravy or peanut sauce, mixed in with a red sauce and pasta. I add it to anything else I am eating and it always enhances the flavors, or I just eat it with a fork. Fair warning: will turn your poo very green.
I think I've had this amazing spinach before. And now I know how to make it!
ReplyDeleteThat's the idea, sister!
ReplyDelete