Friday, November 22, 2013

Lessons

You are teaching me to hold you loosely, with not too tight a grip
Typically the leader charging forward into the breach
Creating, choosing, planning every trip.
Rest easy in the moment, seasoning carries clarity
Scratch at my brain and neurons send a twitch
Grasshopper leaps and the mantis waits, which
Between the two of us someone is sure to get eaten.

Of course I'll agree to that, always willing to take a hit
For the team. Regrets are for sitting on the bench.
This grasshopper has been coached to walk, run, fly--anything but sit.
A life restrained even by a cage of gold is
Entropy, atrophy, a disability and I won't sit still for that shit.
Stillness, breath, control myself is all I could hope.
I wouldn't do it to you, but I pray you volunteer for my rope.

2 comments:

  1. i really, really like this. really! from the time i was a young teenager i get very restless when i feel that life is too still. my twin is the same way. as we have gotten older it is far less frequent. every fall though, generally late September or early October i want to run. not very practical as an adult. i have these delicious daydreams about leaving everything i own and finding an isolated retreat with a faceless womon. mostly i want to be in a rustic cabin on a mountain top where there is a beautiful clear lake for swimming and a sky full of stars to make love beneath. as i read it again i was trying to figure out where the association came for me. i think it triggered in me the desire to always feel free and able to be as i want. I'm curious what the "assignment" was for this entry and the context for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The assignment was "lessons". Each title is the name of the assignment. The context is relationship development with someone who is more thoughtful, patient, and someone outside my (immediate) reach of control not doing things the way I want! My control issues, and my impatience. I am the grasshopper of course, she is the mantis.

    ReplyDelete